Friday, March 2, 2012

Portrait painting vintage style

Portrait of a Lady - art by Anne Vis
A while back I posted the story of a "pimped" window model and today I would like to present a portrait that was originally done by François Gérard (1770-1837) and that I "pimped" or modified or whatever you would like to call it.
Here is what I started out with:
Portrait of a Lady - by François Gérard
When I set out, one of my objectives was to create a "vintage style" portrait that would not be an exact copy of what Gérard had done, in other words: give it a bit of my own style. One of the things that I began with, was altering the mouth. I wanted to give her a different facial expression and look somewhat more happy. For some reason blue eyes also create that effect in a setting like this (which is probably because it creates more contrast). So I made "new eyes". The veil was one of the beautiful details that I left almost "as is" as you can see: I added a hat, to make it a bit more kinky ... :-)
Of course it was a beautiful painting to begin with, so in that respect quite a challenge!
I hope you enjoy the result!

No comments: